Joe Stains

This is the blog of an angry old boston terrier. (and his little brother Tanner who gets to post every Tuesday)

Thursday, August 30, 2007

WARNING! THIS COULD GIVE YOU BAD DREAMS!

Ok Ok some dogs want to see my Dad's back, please please be warned that this might be scary for you young pups and timid types.

I rate this to be PG 13!!

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.



The thing on his back is actually based on a Japanese mask called a Hannya, here is the description.

"The Hannya mask, with its horns and sharp fangs, is probably the best known of all Noh masks. This character was once a beautiful woman who fell in love with a priest. Her unrequited love causes her to turn into a monster who expresses the fury of a woman overwhelmed by jealousy and anger."

The only time I see my dad express fury is when the Yankees are losing!!

PEE S. Photo was taken by Kristen Wright.

52 Stains:

Blogger FleasGang said...

Your dad's cool.

The FleasGang

12:07 PM  
Blogger Couch to CrossFit said...

Beautiful!

1:10 PM  
Blogger The Army of Four said...

I had to tell Amber to divert her eyes! I think it's COOL, though!
Play bows,
Zim

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother just peed his board shorts.


But that's a wicked awesome tattoo!

1:27 PM  
Blogger Balboa said...

WOW, that is beautiful, daddy is impressed and mommy is in awe.

Daddy can relate to the yankee's losing.

Frenchie Snorts
Balboa

1:30 PM  
Blogger Ruby Bleu said...

WOW - that is just the coolest thing!!! That is some amazing work!!!

Thanks Joe for letting your Dad share his back!

Lots of Licks, Ruby & Michele

1:36 PM  
Blogger Clover said...

I have to admit that I am a little bit scared, but I couldn't help looking, I didn't want to be left out!! It does look really neat though, thanks for letting us see the picture!
And I know you guys don't ever get scared by it because you are so tough. :)
Love Clover xo

1:41 PM  
Blogger Peanut said...

Hey Joe,
Your dad's tattoos are neat. Thought I would say hi since we made it to Oregon

2:15 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

Hey Joey, your dad's tattoos are awesome! Especially the scary one on his back. BEAUTIFUL work!

2:16 PM  
Blogger leah said...

i've studied a little bit about japanese theatre -- noh and kabuki. very, very cool!

sadly i've never seen a noh performance except on video. i have, however, seen kabuki and loved it. hooray for non-western totally non-realism theatre! hee hee! but noh masks are beautiful, and that tattoo is GREAT!

yes, i'm a total dork. i need to hang around fig more often. bostons are too cool. =)

4:35 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

We don't know a lot about tatoos but that sure is some impressive art work on your Daddy!! It looks like that took some talent.

We think your Daddy should be on that Miami Ink show.

Our Mommy is a nurse who works in surgery and she says that you would be shocked if she told you all about the naughty tatoos she sees......

Love, Seadra and Zoe

5:00 PM  
Blogger Texas's Mum said...

Hey Joe,
WOW your dad is cool
and that tattoo must have taken
a long time to do but well worth
it.

Love and very cool Licks
Texas (and his humans).

5:43 PM  
Blogger Ozzie, Rocky and Lola said...

We gotta show this one to our Dad. It is AWESOME!!! Our Dad has a full back tatoo also, but he never has had it completed. It is of Coi Fish and Dragons. He's big into Martial Arts so he always chooses Dragons & stuff like that.
Later Dudes---
Ozzie & Rocky

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want one too but Mom said she isn't going to shave my back every single day so everyone can see it. sigh. I'll just have to enjoy your Dad instead. It is an amazing piece.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Luckie Girl said...

Oh wow Joey, I know about the Hannya mask! We saw it on TV before and the story behind it is simply fascinating.
What we want to know is, how long did it take to complete that back tattoo? How many sittings? :)
PS : It does look a tad bit intimating. Remind me not to mess with ya Dad.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Emily and Ike said...

My mom was like - whoa! and I was like - awesome! And now I want a tattoo on my belly but my mom said the only naked area is gross.
Ike

6:13 PM  
Blogger 2shibas said...

Awesome tattoo! And yeah, we feel your pain about the Yankees. Thank DOG they're beating the Red Sox right now!

Go Yankees!

Wiley & Fievel

6:29 PM  
Blogger T-man Angel said...

Wow, that must've taken a long time to draw such a fancy picture on your dad's back! The design and colors are beautiful. Maybe mom will be inspired to let me get my tattoo!!

6:37 PM  
Blogger Ferndoggle said...

Stupid Lola is now hiding in her crate...she's a big baby.

I think that Tat is amazing! I'm thinking of shaving down & paying a visit to your Tat man. NO PUP would mess with me with THAT on my back!

Sherman

6:46 PM  
Blogger Lorenza said...

Hi, Joe
Your dad's tattoo is very cool!! That is what I call art!! Please thank him for sharing it with us!! And the story is very interesting!
Your dad must be happy today... Yankees won the three games against Red Sox! My mom is happy too!!
Have a good night
Lorenza

7:49 PM  
Blogger Gus said...

Wow: your dad's back is much more interesting and colorful than my dad's back. My parents are old and boring. But they are not Republicans, no matter how they dress!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Khady Lynn said...

Whoa!!! That is very cool! That had to hurt though! My mom has one little tattoo of an Iris on her right shoulder blade and she said that was enough for her!

Holly

9:03 PM  
Blogger Girl Girl Hamster said...

I got a little scared looking at that and hide behind Joey the Hammie.
How long must your dad sit to complete that whole picture?


~ Girl girl

9:16 PM  
Blogger PerfectTosca said...

Holy Cannoli Joe! I had to go fetch one of my Mom's eyeballs that popped out.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Deefor said...

Amazing Art! Almost as good as fur.

Deefor

9:24 PM  
Blogger Deanna said...

That is super cool! And a little scary.

My mom has sevarl tattoos, but nothing like that!

9:48 PM  
Blogger Huskee and Hershey said...

** Moosie just ran away sqeaking very loudly..**

I am a tough guy, so I am still here admiring the work. Your dad's tattoos are so cool..

10:07 PM  
Blogger Lacey said...

Your dad's tattoo is pretty cool (and scary!). The artist who made it is very talented. My girl cringed at how much it must have hurt to get it done. She's had a bunch of needles poked in her back lately but nothing colorful has shown up yet.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Sophie Brador said...

So, like, ouch. That's my mom talking, because even though she pretends to be all tough and no nonsense and don't mess with her, blah blah blah, she's a total wimp when it comes to things like tattoos and piercings. She might still be passed out from when she had her ears pierced when she was 12, although that wouldn't really explain how she's walked and fed me all these years. Yes, okay, I exaggerate.

Anyway, it's a pretty amazing tattoo and kudos for Kristin. I will have to get a photo of my dog walker's tattoo to show you. It's a giant haida bear that covers her whole back.

10:31 PM  
Blogger MJ's doghouse said...

wow joey..that is very cool...my mom was wondering if there are any more tattooes that you might show...she is a freak for them...but my dad is anti tattoo...wierd couple if you ask me....i like all the colours...in fact mom says that is the coolest one she has ever seen....and she watches alot of INK tv...

11:53 PM  
Blogger Myeo said...

Thats a cool tattoo. A bit scary thou.. we bet Nadya, our little sister would have cried in fear.

Love
Boy n Baby

1:07 AM  
Blogger Boo Casanova said...

wow, joey, that's some scawie tattoo!

wet wet licks

Boo

2:07 AM  
Blogger Opy - the Original GruffPuppy said...

OMG - that is just SO awesome ! You guys must have a real laugh everytime mum posts about her new "tattoo's" - hers are just a spot of ink compared to your dad's ! That must have taken alot of aftercare - mum whinges about having to put cream on hers for a week - but then again, mum whinges just about eveything these days !

So cool guys, so very very cool!

Love
Opy

3:28 AM  
Blogger Moco said...

That tattoo is wonderful. Someone spent a good deal of time doing it. Has Dad ever been to any of the tattoo conventions to show it off? How long did it take to get done? Does your Mom have any tattoos? Enough questions.

3:30 AM  
Blogger wally said...

WHOA! That's totally cool. My ma ape has two Irish ladies on her back which is not nearly so fearsome and rage-filled.

I think a Boston like you would be MOST fearsome.

wally.

3:37 AM  
Blogger Amber-Mae said...

Woh! That kind of freaked me out a little but cooooooool!

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

3:51 AM  
Blogger Simba and Jazzi said...

How long did that take to do? and ouch, your Daddy is so cool.

Simba xx

4:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Joe - the contest is over - let judging begin!
Ike
PS - I wanted to e-mail you, but I couldn't find your e-mail address. You should still have mine to let me know the results. Let me know if you don't.

5:27 AM  
Blogger umekotyan said...

Even I in Japan certainly feel hannya mask scary.
It is envy, and a scary thing.
Spend a happy weekend.

from loved ume tyan

6:09 AM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Whoa!

Love the tat, but where's the Boston tat of Joe & the Doofus gonna fit?

Very cool photo.

Goober awe,
Stanley

8:11 AM  
Blogger Nessa Happens said...

I don't want to shock you, but...I can see your papa's underpants.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Jackson's J1 and J2 said...

Blimey! J x

11:03 AM  
Blogger Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

oh my.............Jeannie has had to go and make a nice wee British cup of tea............

the back is good, the back is cool, amazng..........but oh my,

bring on the tea!

1:30 PM  
Blogger Lady Kaos said...

My mom is amazed your dad can sit still that long! When she got her's she was bored because her little thing took an hour and a half. Your dad's back must have taken days! Thanks for the warning, I told my sister to leave the room cuz I didn't want to hear her whine about being afraid all night.
Kaos

3:10 PM  
Blogger Pugsley, Buster, Cricket & Daisy said...

Impressive and beautiful!!!

Pugsley, Buster, Cricket and Daisy Mae

6:11 PM  
Blogger Asta said...

Joe
That is bootifully done, but it scawes me to death..I don't know if I could look at it fow long
I hope your Dad can supwess the fuwy
I had the best time wunning fwee..I don't know if it will ever happen again,cause I'm only allowed if it's totally fenced in..I'm unweliable appeawantly,hehehe
smoochie kisses
Asta

7:01 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Oh, did that hurt him when he got it done???? I hope not too bad!!!!!

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW - that is amazing!

River

4:26 AM  
Blogger Frasier said...

Hi Joey,
Its hard to imagine thats skin is' nt it ?Great photog,great tat,great dad with a high threshold for pain!
Frasier

7:17 AM  
Blogger Snowball said...

Wow!!! Those tattoos are really cool. We can imagine the pain that your dad had to endure to get it done. I bet jie jie won't have the courage to try. We salute your daddy.

WOW!!! again...

Luv,
Snowball

9:51 AM  
Blogger Gudrun said...

Wow! That's incredible and beautiful!!! *eyes bug out of head*

Ginger

10:06 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

Holy cow! That's one cool tat. Love, Martha

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home