Joe Stains

This is the blog of an angry old boston terrier. (and his little brother Tanner who gets to post every Tuesday)

Monday, June 01, 2009

Our Trip to Show Low...

Well you guys can see that the car ride was pretty nice and we did behave for about 10 minutes...








But then the sun started to set and we had to look out at all the cool trees that we don't have in the desert. The house is in a town called Show Low, about 3 hours North East of Phoenix.

When we got there I was pretty shocked to find out it was in the 40's!! OMDOG!




Thank goodness Mom brought me a sweatshirt and Gram had lots of cozy blankets. I know 40 degrees does not seem cold to you guys but it has been in the 100's at our house lately so I have very little fur left.




Tanner thought he'd just warm up with a Heineken. Mom said, No Way buddy!

The next morning the sun was shining so we headed outside...




I had to leave some pee-mail!




A couple of years ago a huge fire devastated this area. Over 100 houses in the neighborhood burned and a ton of trees were burned as well. We were fortunate that our Grandparent's house did not burn, but they lost some trees.




We sniffed them out and hoped that something like that never happened again.




Tanner really liked running in the weeds.




It was really pretty and we were excited to see more green growing as it was totally barren before because of the fire.




There was a cool dump truck behind the house too, but Dad wouldn't let me drive it.




I was very good at climbing, I am quite nimble for my age.








We hung out on the porch a lot, it was fun to smell all the different smells in the air.




Even when we were inside, I was really busy watching for wild animals!




Tanner spent a lot of time with his new corn...




But he helped with guard duty some of the time.




BUT guard duty had to end because the Yankees were on!! You can see that the house in the mountains is definitely not a place where you have to 'rough it'. LOL! I wondered what Dad was doing while I was watching the tv...

I was shocked when we got home and I started to look at the pictures...




I saw this...that is MY DAD giving a treat to a dog that is NOT ME...




GET OUT INTERLOPER!! omdog!!




OMDOG another one! (she kind of looks like my friend Suzy! )




Apparently these are the neighbors dogs and they are 12 years old. Also, they apparently have not been socialized much so we were not allowed to play with them. WTF but they can eat our cookies???? So this is what happens when I take a few hours off of guard duty to watch baseball!




We got a nice walk in before it stormed, look how dark it was getting. Seriously, storms in the mountains are 50 bajillion times louder than they are at my house, it was NOT cool. BUT other than the fact that my Dad was giving out cookies to uncivilized dogs and the thunder was louder than anything in the world, it was a great trip.

Here are a couple of short movies of us in Show Low!





Tanner has some stuff to post about his time up north, of course he didn't behave...but we'll let him talk about that tomorrow...

37 Stains:

Blogger Emily and Ike said...

I bet Tanner didn't get cold with all his, um - fur ...
Ike

5:47 PM  
Blogger NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Now THAT would have been MY kind of weather!

I'm glad woo had mostly a good time save fur the khanine khookie interlopers and the storms.....

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

6:21 PM  
Blogger Gus said...

Oh Joe! I like Show Low. The weather there is very much to my liking. We have some friends with houses up there, so we went up in summers when we lived in Azrizona.

There are lots more people there than there were when Muzzer and Dad moved to Azrizona. But I tell muzzer that there are more hoomans everywhere, so she should not worry.

gussie d

6:34 PM  
Blogger ♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

That's a big difference in temps for three hours. But it sure looks like you all had some good times.

Those neighbr pups look pretty sweet - too bad you couldn't meet them.

Woos, the OP Pack

6:37 PM  
Blogger Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

My dog, Joey...you're lucky ya didn't freeze to death in those mountains...forty degrees??? And you being sorta furless????!!! I certainly coulda stopped by for a snuggle!!

Hey when is your mom's barkday? Mumsie's was May 29th...we're figurin' that yours is around that time too...tell her Happy Barkday from us, Kay???!!!

Is there a reason you use Tanner for a step stool in ur car?????? We can't believe that he lets ya stand on him...you Mom looked kinda squished in that seat with you guys on top of her...

We saw a BT at daycare who had a butt the size of Kansas...he was part of the BT substantial dog's club...hoooooge...I asked him for his number...

Barkin' at ya sweet dogs...

Laciegirlie

6:59 PM  
Blogger Sophie Brador said...

It's looks pretty nice there, but that one dog's head is too small for his body ... or maybe he just has too much fur. You better watch out Joey. They make them dogs weird down there.

Did you see my Iggy Pop post? Why didn't you tell me you were in Montreal for a film shoot?

7:17 PM  
Blogger Lorenza said...

Hi, Joey!
I know 40 degrees is cold for you... and for me too!
Glad you had your sweatshirt and the blankies!
Your Dad gave them your treats and you could not say hello to them?? Hmmm...
Nice pee-video!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

7:20 PM  
Blogger MJ's doghouse said...

wow sounds like you fellas had a good time in showlow....too bad you had to come home to the land of no trees...we have so many here...you should come and visit and we can go to the lake....it will be such fun...anyhow i cant wait to hear what kind of trouble tanner got into ...

7:29 PM  
Blogger Chef said...

It was great that your parents took you along, but I'm a little mad at your dad for giving your treats away to strangers. Grrr.

xoxo
Chef

7:31 PM  
Blogger Peanut said...

Cold storms and dad giving out cookies to other dogs. Dude that doesn't sound like a great trip to me

7:36 PM  
Blogger Teddy said...

Hey, that looked like a fun trip!! It must have been a nice break to see some trees and feel the cooler weather. Thanks for showing us this place (I've never heard of it).

Teddy

8:31 PM  
Blogger Stella said...

Looked to me like a nice place to celebrate birthdays and such! I hope Dula Mae, once she got over the weight of you dogs, had a nice birthday.

Kisses,
Stella

9:11 PM  
Blogger Lacy said...

w00fs, wow, u guys had a pawsome trip....hmm cant believe ur daddy gived ur treats out..and Joey, i bet u did freeze...did u hide in the baffroom when it wuz storming..

b safe,
~rocky~

11:40 PM  
Blogger Huskee and Hershey said...

Hi guys,
Your dad is nice to give treats to the neighbour's doggies.. (though he really should have gotten your permission first!)..
Wow.. 40 degrees sounds pretty cold to me!! Didn't you bring along your hoodie?

1:58 AM  
Blogger Huskee and Hershey said...

Hi guys,
Your dad is nice to give treats to the neighbour's doggies.. (though he really should have gotten your permission first!)..
Wow.. 40 degrees sounds pretty cold to me!! Didn't you bring along your hoodie?

1:58 AM  
Blogger Duke said...

The mountains in Show Low are sure pretty and 40 degree temps sound just perfect to us! We're glad to hear that your mom was prepared with your sweatshirt and that you had lots of blankies to keep youself from freezing to death, Joey!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

2:05 AM  
Blogger Dughallmor Beagles said...

Whoaa....dooood, is that a....I mean is your lead.....dude, are you wearing pink??! Mum makes Alfie wear pink sometimes too....good job you guys are at ease with that!
Your trip to Show Low looks really cool, Mum likes the pretty sky shot.
Sorry we've been so absent lately, we have to make the most of the sunshine here....it's grey today though!
Slobbers xx

3:19 AM  
Blogger ♥Mona + Prissy + Angel Weenie♥ said...

Hi Joey and Tanner,

Now thats what I call a trip. It looks so nice and cool there. It is so hot here but I got my summer haircute and feel so much better.

I missed you so much while my computer was sick. I'll be back soon to catchup on what we missed in the last 3 weeks.

{{{huggies}}}....Mona

4:14 AM  
Blogger Mack said...

Besides the interloper and the terrible thunder, this looks like the best vacation ever!!

5:22 AM  
Blogger Princess Patches said...

What a cool place to visit! Our pawrents used to live in Phoenix and Mesa and everytime they went up North, they froze! Glad you all had a good time, despite the neighbor dogs and thunder!

Aire-hugs,
Poppy, Penny & Patches

5:54 AM  
Blogger Heather and Pumpkin said...

I like your cute sweatshirt!

xoxo
Pumpkin

6:20 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

40 degrees is coooold to me too! Thank Dog for that totally cute sweatshirt!

Show Low looks pretty awesome! Can't wait to hear about Tanner's mischief....

6:27 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

Hi Guys
We didn't know you were back - looks like a great trip with lots of great photos. Just what we like!
Believe me you guys need to come to Scotland to toughen up a bit weather wise!
It looked like your long journey was like ours to Skye - poor mom had to be in the back too.....
Welcome home
love
Martha & Bailey xx

6:55 AM  
Blogger Patience-please said...

F-f-forty is f-f-f-f-freezing!
Those were some BIG HAIRY dogs. We would have barked them out of town.

wags from the whippets

9:26 AM  
Blogger TwoSpecialWires said...

Two things. Pink is fine. I've had to sport pink ever since we made the switch from retractable leashes to regular leashes. I've heard rumor that there is a more masculine (?) leash waiting for me... but until I get over my belly problem (yep, it's me this time) I haven't been allowed to go crazy with my pressies.

Second. 40 degrees!? We feel for you guys. We're glad you had blankies and sweatshirts and tolerance. It DOES feel good to hike when it's like that! But nap on the deck? No way!

(Do you miss it now that you're back in the heat?)
Jake - posh in pink and Fergi)

9:34 AM  
Blogger Petra said...

Show Low looks like a fun place to hang out, and it's a fun name to say, too! So did the Yankees win for you?

10:22 AM  
Blogger Nibbles Treats said...

Someone needed to guard the beer. Beautiful area. Our uncle used to live in Flagstaff and we have visited there a few times. What an adventure!

Tinkerbell, Oscar and Tucker

1:41 PM  
Blogger Astrid Keel said...

Oh My DOG! That's so much in so widdle time! I would have been totally exhausted! My momster also gives cookies to strange dogs...

1:43 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

What a trip. Sahme about the beer. Was very interesting to see Show Low, how sad about the fire burning down the houses and the trees. Thank dog you were there to give the land a good watering,help the greenery on the way.

Wiry wags n kissies, Eric xxxx

3:00 PM  
Blogger Pug(s) and Bugg said...

WELL... I am jealous. That is all we can say over here!!!!!! What a KEWL trip you guys! We can't wait to see what Tan Torkelson did.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Asta said...

Joe
I'm so glad the gween is coming back..I can just smell the fwesh aiw when I see those twees and sky.
Next time, take a fuw coat I hope you didn't fweez. I know you pwefew about 278degwee tempewatoowes.
Sowwy about the dundewdowm that distoowbed youw Waaaaaa.

I would have a weal big talk wif youw Dad if I wewe you. giving youw cookies to stwangews doesn't seem wight
smoochie kisses
ASTA

10:29 PM  
Blogger The Oceanside Animals said...

hello joey its dennis the vizsla dog hay that luks like a grayt trip!!! dada sez that the terrayn their reminds him of arownd the grand canyon wotever that is i think it is a soopermarket or sumthing ha ha ok bye

6:16 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

What a cool trip! You are a great storyteller.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Sunny,Scooter, (sometimes Jamie) said...

Can you believe your Dad would do such a thing?! Bah. No loyalty at all...
Sorry about the loud boomers. Hope you had a nice bathroom to hang out in!
We agree 40's = COLD!!
Looked like a beautiful trip.
Hugs Sunny
pee ess Scooter did get home. But he is in some deep doodoo!!

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks pawesome!!!

3:12 PM  
Blogger The Army of Four said...

What a cool-looking place! (We're just getting caught up... Mom's been "working" so we can't use the computer. Bah!)
So... how come your dad wouldn't let you drive that dump truck? Did you leave your license at home or something?
Play bows,
Zim

11:53 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

I have a friend that lived in Show Low - funny name for a town for sure.. i was actually interested in finding out if that was really the name BUT IT SURE IS.
Never been myself but it looks pretty and heard it snows a lot.
Glad you got to sniff the heineken :) and take walks. Fun stuff - hopefully you're okay now w/them 2 leggers giving your cookies away! : )
bol
high five
bell and kimberly

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home