Joe Stains

This is the blog of an angry old boston terrier. (and his little brother Tanner who gets to post every Tuesday)

Thursday, April 23, 2009

I get by with a little help from my friends...

Last year we learned that our food that we really liked, Canidae, changed their formula and their manufacturing facility. So we changed to Merrick Campfire Trout to help with my itchies and because we liked everything about it...

This is for US

You may remember that we absolutely loved it, it was delicious and we didn't have any bad reactions to it. Tanner is still doing great and loves it, but it seems my uh stains are a little mushy on and off these last few weeks. I am behaving fine, I am as active as ever and I don't seem sick at all and had my checkup recently, I just have bad poo.

She thinks I am getting too old and sensitive for this super rich food so she thinks we need to change. This makes Mom's brain want to explode because there are SO many choices. So Mom seems to think she has decided that I will be transitioning to Wellness Just Senior pet food over the next month or 2. Wellness uses Menu Foods to manufacture their food, so they are OUT!

Our Vet said it takes about 2 months for us dogs to get used to the food. Of course Mom and Dad will watch me like WORRYING FREAKS and will take me to the vet if things change, but for now Mom THINKS she has made a choice after a few days reading a million websites. Asta and our buddy Beckett eat Wellness and like it so we will give it a whirl. The only thing she doesn't like is she cannot figure out where it is manufactured. Well, we called them up and asked if they use Menu Foods and they said yes.

Sorry this was SO boring, but Mom just hates it that I am not perfectly pooping. Humans are NUTS. I think I am just allergic to Tanner, but that has yet to be confirmed...

EDIT:
Apparently Wellness uses Menu Foods :( This stinks. I guess we will be trying the Orijen food. Why is this stuff such a pain in the BUTT? (get it, butt, poo...)

47 Stains:

Blogger Beckett said...

Hi JOEY!

When my mom first adoptinated me I had problems with itchy skin, hot spots, losing hair in patches, and generally mushy-to-runny poop. My mom's co-worker told me that her dog had had similar problems and that they had cleared up on a particular Wellness food.

I have eaten Wellness Ocean Fish and Sweet Potato kibble for about a year now, and I haven't had any trouble with my skin in that time. My poop is also a lot firmer.

My ears have also been a lot cleaner, which makes my mom think I was having trouble with food allergies before. (Mom thinks that maybe I am allergic to the corn that is a filler in so many dog foods.)

So, Wellness has been a great food for me. I hope it will work for you too!

Beckett Brador

11:18 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Howdy, Joe! My kitties love Wellness canned food. Of course, they eat the kitty version. When my late, beautiful Gilda was sick, Wellness was the only food she would eat. It seemed to be gentle on her system, too. I hope it works for you or your Mom finds something that does.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Petra said...

I'm so glad I read your blog today! I have been eating Nutro Ultra, which I don't like, and then we heard it was under investigation so we're trying to find better food. I have samples of Innova, but maybe I should try Wellness next.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Coco Bean - The Princess said...

you should definitely hav you rmom talke to Stanislaw and Big Pupi's mom! she is a genius at this whole food thing!

contact them at www.ieatrawmeat.blogspot.com

Tail Wiggles & Puppy Kisses,

Coco The Princess

12:28 PM  
Blogger NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Our moms made some grrrreat decisions when the stoooopid Khanidae switched...there are all sorts of nasty poops floating around now about them and Nutro....

ANYWAY, I'm a Khalifornia Naturals gal - and have suggested to my sibe sibling sisters to use it too...I'm on the lamb and rice now - the herring and sweet tater made my breath toooo tannerriffikh!

Good lukhk with getting some answers...

Maybe it is that 'dry' baking desert heat ;-)

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

12:35 PM  
Blogger doyle and mollie said...

my mom feeds me canidae - she orders it specially for me as its hard to find in nz - is there something bad about it that made you change to another brand?

12:40 PM  
Blogger Mack said...

You know who is really good on the subject of food? That's Stanislaw & BP's momma. There computer is on the fritz right now though DANG IT!
Yeah our mom is looking for us a new food too (we currently eat Nutra Naturals) cause we have the itchies really bad.
It looks like a lot of doggies above us are liking the Wellness. We'll have to check into that.
Good luck!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Sophie Brador said...

I wonder if I would like that Orijens stuff. It's not all protein is it? I know I have some big problems with all protein foods, even though all the health nuts freak out when I say that. What can I say. I guess I need some carbs in my diet. Mom is going to look into that Orijens stuff right now.

xo
SB

1:14 PM  
Blogger ♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Joe, we so loved our Canidae but switched too when they added corn to that new formula. We eat Eagle Pack and all of us do very well on it. We eat the holistic chicken formula. Tell Mom to be sure to make the switch very gradually, over about a three week period. Add just a couple of kibbles more every 4 or 5 days until you reach the max.

Hope your poo gets better consistency - see, we can share everything on blogs, right?

Woos, the OP Pack

1:25 PM  
Blogger The Army of Four said...

"Pain in the butt." Hee hee hee! I get it!
Love,
Ammy

2:29 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

butt...hehheh
Anyways, my vet has me on Royal Canin potato and venison. I likes it. And I haven't been all itchy and stuff since I've been eating it.
Good luck in your food search!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Ozzie, Rocky and Lola said...

Poor Joe. Hope she gets it figured out and that you still get to eat something besides cardboard...

2:42 PM  
Blogger Gus said...

we like the Origen, and we like the Hund and Flocken stuff too, but it is way hard to find here in Tennemessesseee


gussie

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our 12 year old who is going on strong and still acts like a puppy and our 5 year old eat Nutro Natural Choice. The 5 year old eats weight management and the 12 year old eats senior. He has sensitive skin but is better with the Natural Choice.

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finding the right dog food can definitely be a head-exploding experience. Our old dog Fred couldn't eat ANYTHING sold in stores or he got diarrhea. After being tested for every parasite under the sun, the vet said it had to be his diet. He ended up being able to eat one thing only - prescription WD. I eat Eukanuba adult and Zeke eats Eukanuba puppy and we do fine on that. Good luck - I'm sure you'll find the food that agrees with your tummy soon!

See ya!
Joey

4:39 PM  
Blogger Molly the Airedale said...

Mom doesn't think this post is boring at all, Joey, because I had the exact same problem and mom did the exact same research very recently! Mitch and I do eat Canidae but mom decided to go with the grain-free Canidae,instead of the grained stuff, after pulling out almost all of her already non-existent hair, and so far so good! We like it and my poo is more firm! Why the heck are hoomans so worried about our poo?!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

4:42 PM  
Blogger Lola Smiles said...

Joey Baby: my mom just switched me to Orijen fish formula 3 weeks ago and was sooooo nervous about it as well. OMD, she has this thing about hard poo for me too! but I'm happy to say that this orijen food is totally agreeing with me so far. Hard poops, says my fur is nicer and I'm already shedding less!

tell your mom to give it a go, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

luv ya
lola smiles

4:44 PM  
Blogger Stella said...

I wonder if this could be a change-of-season thing and be quite temporary. Have you spoken to your vet about it at all? I know there are some meds for loose stools.

Stella

5:30 PM  
Blogger MJ's doghouse said...

my mom wants to know if you have tried Ellens food...it is called Halo....she says it is made of good stuff.....but we cant get it in canada..so maybe you should check it out

5:34 PM  
Blogger the TN Bull Terrors said...

Hey Joe, DawgMom says to tell yer Mom to subscribe to Whole Dog Journal, they do a list every year of all the dog foods on the market, what's good & what's not. It's a great magazine!
We eat raw diet, so we don't know anything about the kibbles.

Feather, Darla, Pappy & LizzaBella

6:01 PM  
Blogger The Oceanside Animals said...

hello joey its dennis the vizsla dog hay we yoozd orijen for a wile becuz it is the only fud wot is spelt korrektly ennyway mama sez yoo shud transishun to it even more gradjooally then other foods on akkownt of all the proteen in orijen mmm proteen ok bye

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

We think we may have the most sensitive BT in the universe. We love Halo! Our goddess Magenta loves it, and her poop is great, unless she finds some cat poo sanx - eew!... LOVE Joe and Tanner - your blog is the BEST!!!

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We eat Nutro for sensitive tummys and we do great. We had a terrible time before we found this food. We do not know if Menu foods makes this or not but it works great for us.

Your friends,
Clyde and Levi the boston terriers.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Tanner...this is Mumsie...

First of all what's the matter with Wellness foodables? I just switched the three terriers to it...are ya tellin' me you know something I don't? Leave me a comment...we went to Calif. Natural, but I um had to wash the grass...it seemed to be an issue with Stanley's delicate gi tract. So we just switched...what's the deal??

Now...first of all, Tanner...I want you to know I HAVE A BAD COLD. And I'm TIRED...AND CRANKY...AND ACHE ALL OVER. And not in a good mood. (But I'm sure you can't tell due to my extreme stoicism...however ya spell it?)

Then I go to your bloggie yesterday and see my daughter Lacie dressed inappropriately to say the least. She mentioned somethin' like you TOLD her to wear this outfit cuz you could SELL the pix of her in it to buy more Steeler stuff for you and Joey. I mean, Tanner, have ya ever heard of a lemonade stand?

This totally smells of EXPLOITATION...oh, sorry...Scruffy just well um emited a bit of flatulance....

Anyway...(Mumsie sneezes and has to run for a kleenex and some Tylenol for her aching joints....)

It's ok...I'm back...I'll probably live another day...maybe...

Anyway...not only is Lacie dressed like a tramp, but my niece Clacie was photographed floatin' in a pool with a bodyless Boston who looks like bread dough. AND she's not home yet. I mean, what of her reputation? And what of Lacie when she comes home...she's very impressionable and innocent...I won't have her reputation compromised....

Then...you left the field by yourself and I've been worried sick (ok, I'm already sick) about your safety. A young BT like you runnin' around unattended...oh my...

I could go on, but I fear I need to go to bed...(Mumsie excuses herself to sneeze...)

I think, Tanner, that you have some 'splainin' to do....

Very truly yours,

Mumsie

6:32 PM  
Blogger the TN Bull Terrors said...

Hey Joe, send us a peemail, we have some info for you & can't find yer peemail address on yer bloggie. tnbullterrors @ gmail.com (without the spaces)

Feather, Darla, Pappy & LizzaBella

6:41 PM  
Blogger Snowball said...

I get bad poo when I was taking Merrick. I hope your mom find the perfect food for you soon.

Luv
Snowball

7:56 PM  
Blogger Lorenza said...

Hi, Joey!
My mom always complains about the few kibble brands we have here but reading your post and all the comments she would go crazy if she had to make a decision!
I hope your mom finds the one is right for you!
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

8:11 PM  
Blogger Huskee and Hershey said...

Hi Joey,
Remember Hershey used to have the 'sploding butt/ soft poop problem for the longest time? A vet recommended either acidophilus vitamin tablets or yoghurt as well as slippery elm. Mom adds a big table sppn of yoghurt to her food everytime and **knock on wood**, the poops been firm so far! We just got a bottle of slippery elm too.. Vet says possibly because she has a weak digestive/ intestinal tract..

11:28 PM  
Blogger Dughallmor Beagles said...

Whoaa, dooooood.....bad poo is so not cool, we hope you get it sorted! Our poos are firm and awesome...but we are on BARF which can be a hassle for the humans and hard to get used to unless you've been on it from a young age....
Anypoop, we came to tell you that we have an award for you!
Slobbers and a Happy Weekend to you xx

1:39 AM  
Blogger Aki and Poopie said...

well, i dont really know much about this bad poo issue cos i've always been a good poo kind of boy. and so is Poopie, i bet, considering her name has poo written all over it..

manang says that she feels your pain though. manang is like synonymous to bad poo already. she had been carrying it for ages!

so please, please buddy.. do let us know what brand of dog food works for you. we'll try to get the hooman to shift for her human meals. i mean, afterall if it works for you, it should also work for her, right?

drooly kisses,

Aki

1:53 AM  
Blogger The Airechicks said...

Hey Joey:

Your Mom certainly seems stressed....

We love BLUE BUFFALO ...helps with itchys and solid poopies....

Since your Dad is kinda a "MEAT & TATOR" guy maybe you could share his dindin...

XXoooXXoooXXoo

4:57 AM  
Blogger Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Oh and Tanner...I'm back and in no better shape than I was last night...thanks for asking...

I forgot to mention....Lacie has her bellybutton pierced?

You can add that to your list of

SPLAININS'...

Mumsie...

ACHOOOOOOOOOOO......

5:54 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

Hi Joey
Because we are in Scotland we wont be much use! Martha itched and itched when she was first adopted. She kept everyone awake most of the night!!!
We have now finally got her settled on antiallergenic food - James Wellbeloved - which of course is a uk food. Our mum's last basset changed to senior food when he was around 9 or 10 due to similar problems!
We know how your mom feels because it is important to get food that suits you and we wish you well.
love
Martha & Bailey xx

6:06 AM  
Blogger Dewey Dewster said...

Gee guys...sorry ta hear about yer food problems...Gram has fed us Pro Plan lamb 'n rice fer a bunch of years now. They do have a food fer allergic doggies ta grain...a grain free formula but fortunately we don't need it......can't say though who makes it....

Hope ya figure it all out and get back ta firm stains....

Dewey Dewster here....

8:04 AM  
Blogger Dexter said...

Did your mom have some sort of secret meeting with my mom? I am "switching over" to some new foodables myself and eating half and half and momma is paying extra close attention to everybody's poop; checking for consistency and content. I have to say the new food is making me feel a bit, um, relaxed.

Slobbers,
Mango

11:41 AM  
Blogger The WriggleButts said...

Oh we all have the poop issues at times. I get ichy from "high protein" foods if they're kibble - but can be on an all meat(with bones and the icky stuff) with no problem. Seems to be related to the whole cooked thingy. Anyhow - we hope you and your Mom figure out a poop-and-Joey-friendly food soon. It's really hard figuring out the bestest foods. Mom is often growling about food producers making it harder than necessary to tell what's in their products.

Bajas

12:17 PM  
Blogger Noah the Airedale said...

Hey mate
Sorry I cant help you with a suggestion cause we're raw fed. That is we get lots of chicken necks or wings or legs, sometimes we get raw mince mixed with tinned tomatoes and spinach (which we can digest) and sometimes we get our BARF patties bought from the petbarn. Oh not to mention our hoki fillets and salmon heads. Do you think you'd like a diet like ours? Its pretty yummy. If your pinkies want more info let my pinky know and she'll send them a book we have. You can email us if you like or facebook us.

Noah x

2:28 PM  
Blogger Asta said...

Joey
I'm eating Wellness low calowie food and I love it and am fine in my poo stuff..awe you saying it's bad?
Mommi knows nothin'

It sounds like all the stuffs in it is weally good. awe they lying?
EEK
now I'm so confoosed
smoochie kisses
love
ASTA

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We don't want any poo issues! Sorry that Merrick is too rich for ya! I am still loving mine!!!
Hugs,
Sitka

2:37 PM  
Blogger wally said...

Oh man! The food situation is touchy. I hope you find something that is most tasty. We eat kibble sometimes and usually eat Innova Evo or Nature's Variety Prairie, both of which we like a lot. Good luck man, food is so important!

wally t.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Agatha and Archie said...

The bottom line here is why do they all become sooo obsessed with our poops?????? PL2 does the same thing......PL2 says ask the vet about making your own food(becasue you don't have any thing else to do......) that way you know where it comes from..... Love and kiises A+A

3:23 PM  
Blogger Lady Kaos said...

Dog food choices are a pain in the butt sometimes. The only food that doesn't make my poo runny is Purina which we know isn't the best for dogs, but it's the only thing I can keep in me. Sasha is a really picky eater and refuses to eat all the good for you stuff but she has decided she liked Purina, too.
Kaos

3:25 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Joe. Mom is obsessed with the food too. I have Burns hypoallergenic but that's only availble in the UK. A vet friend here told us the other day of a new food called Fish4Dogs. He used Burns but now feeds his 3 dogs (oneis 11+ ) with this and uses the treats and fish skin jerky for his surgeries.Say's it's brill. It's made in the UK but Mom thinks it might be international too....
Hope Mom finds you something tasty.

Wiry wags, Eric xx

5:07 PM  
Blogger Morgan in Pittsburgh said...

The cats and I have been liking Pet Promise and Organix. Sometimes Wellness too. we make it a point to continue to check web-sites. you never know when somebody is gonna buy somebody out and change everything. Mom says it really is a head-spinner.
your pal, Morgan

6:26 PM  
Blogger Simba and Jazzi said...

Humans have a thing about what we eat and how we pooh, strange creatures. Hope you get on ok with your new food, which ever one you decide on.

Simba and Jazzi xxx

1:02 AM  
Blogger TwoSpecialWires said...

Whoa-doggies. All this talk about food has made us HUNGRY It must be time for dinner.

Hope you are getting it all worked out in good form, Joe. We'll pay attention to the final decisions and hope to remember them as we transition to "mature" diets.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Sunny,Scooter, (sometimes Jamie) said...

Hay Joee, we duz eet blu bufaloz. Mom sez she hadda change lotza times wif all thoz recallz, but blue haz nefer ben recalled an we duz grat on it. ok anok an sh duz like the gredientz.. whutefer-it duz tast gooood
hi fives
scooter

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home